Looking Back and Do You Remember? | Sept. 13, 2018

-A A +A

Sept. 15, 1988

(30 years ago)

Around $1,000 of damage occurred during the Labor Day weekend at the Trimble County Park. Sheriff Howard Long said the entrance gate and section of fence were rammed by a pickup truck the night of Sept. 2. The following night, several picnic tables were turned over and some were pitched over the bank. Evidence of drag racing and four-wheelers in parts of the park was also discovered.

George Turner of Bedford started Turner’s Heating and Cooling. Prior to opening his own business, Turner had nine years of experience in the industry. He spent the past six years working at Terry’s Heating and Cooling of Madison, Ind.

Judge-Executive Jack Couch said the county would be represented at Expo ’88, an economic exposition Sept. 21-23 at the Kentucky Fairgrounds. Couch said the purpose of being at the expo was to promote regional development and companies that might be looking at rural development as opposed to urban areas.

Deaths: Bertha Luckett, 79; Maurice B. Martin, 39; Morris Webb, 74.

Sept. 12, 1968

(50 years ago)

John Rand was invited to help host Vice President Hubert Humphrey during a fundraising dinner and gala on Sept. 20 at Freedom Hall in Louisville.

The Rev. and Mrs. James Goble accompanied members of the junior class of Poplar Ridge Baptist Church on a hayride to General Butler State Park in Carrollton.

Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Wood attended a shuffleboard tournament in Springfield, Ohio. At the tourney, Mr. Wood won another trophy for his collection.

Donald Lee Graves was the fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. John Graves to earn the rank of Eagle Scout. The recognition of four sons earning the rank was believed to be the in Ohio and possibly the first in Scouting. Mr. Graves grew up in Milton and Mrs. Graves grew up in Bedford.

Deaths: Glenn Ward, 53.

Sept. 16, 1943

(75 years ago)

Funeral services for Pvt. Leland Wayne Alexander, age 18, were held Sept. 16 at Bedford Christian Church. Alexander passed away following a five-day illness. He was inducted into the Army four weeks prior to his death, departing the week prior to his passing.

Robert King was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to charges for the murder of Mrs. Bert Stone, who resided near Milton.

Seaman 2nd Class Cleston R. Fisher finished “boot training” at Great Lakes, Ill. and was sent to electrical school at naval training station, Iowa State College in Ames, Ia. Pfc. John E. Cutshaw graduated from the radio operator’s class at Ft. Knox.

Petty Officer Robert Alexander returned home after serving several months with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Ocean. Chief Engineer Huey Davis of the merchant marine returned to Bedford for 21-days of leave. Corp. Glenn Allen Fisher was scheduled to return to Camp Davis, N.C. after a 15-day furlough in Trimble. The furlough was originally 10-days but was extended.

Deaths: Clara Mosser Alexander, 87.