TC Soil Erosion & Water Quality Cost Share application process ongoing

-A A +A

The Trimble County Conservation District is now accepting Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost Share Applications on a continuous basis. This continual sign-up is designed to make the program more “landowner friendly” and help address the needs of a landowner at any time during the year. As landowners plan conservation projects with the assistance of their local conservation district, they will be able to apply for financial assistance for those projects without having to wait for a designated sign up period.

Thousands of Kentucky landowners have received state assistance through the Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost Share program. Known informally as state cost share, the program was created in 1994 and helps landowners implement best management practices to protect soil and water resources on their property. Since the program’s inception, more than $129 million has been approved for use in implementing best management practices through more than 15,000 submitted applications. This money has assisted landowners in all of Kentucky’s 120 counties.

Many state cost share practices are offered through the state cost share program. Some examples are: agriculture and animal waste control facilities, streambank stabilization, animal waste utilization, vegetative filter strips, integrated crop management, pesticide containment, sinkhole protection, pasture and hay land forage quality and heavy use area protection. A list of all practices is available at http://conservation.ky.gov/Pages/StateCostShare.aspx.

The Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost Share program is funded through the Tobacco Settlement Funds and the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. For the 2013 program year, $2.5 million will be available to landowners across the state.

For more information on the Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost Share program, visit the Trimble County Conservation District located at 511 West Street.  You may also call the district at 502-255-7114.