Moore saves Carrollton man from car fire; arrests made

-A A +A
By Sharon Graves


The News-Democrat

If you’re ever in a burning car, Larry Moore Jr., is the man you want nearby. Moore has rescued not one but two people from burning vehicles almost a decade apart.

Moore was listening to his scanner at home on Lewis Road in Ghent on July 15 when he heard the call for a car on fire with someone trapped inside on Black Rock Road just outside of Ghent.

Moore hopped in his car and according to Deputy Sheriff Jim Hamilton, was the first on the scene.

“When I pulled up there was a girl in the middle of the road screaming pointing to the car with a man stuck inside as fire was starting up the back of the red Dodge Intrepid,” Moore said. Years of training kicked in and Moore knew what had to be done.

“The dash and the steering wheel had mashed in and had him pinned in, “Moore explained. “Fire was rolling up into the front seat by then. The side door was crushed and it wouldn’t open so I had to pull down the frame around the window that was busted out and try to get him out that way. He had on shorts and I grabbed a hold of the leg of his shorts and yanked as hard as I could and both legs popped out.”

“I was able to pull him out of the car but I couldn’t carry him up the hill so I had to shield him from the heat of the fire with my back,” Moore said. “A man came out of nowhere and helped me carry him to the top of the hill and he left before I could get his name. I don’t have any idea who helped me get the boy up the hill.”

Derrick Rose, of 1501 Owen Ave. in Carrollton, was the driver of the car and near victim.

Rose was not injured by the fire but did received non-life threatening injuries in the accident. Moore also received minor injuries shielding Rose from the fire.

“I’m pretty sure if I hadn’t done what I did, he [Rose] would be dead now,” Moore said.

Shortly after Moore and the unknown man got Rose to the top of the hill, the Ghent Fire Department arrived and was able to put the fire out.

Almost a decade ago, Moore pulled a woman, Felicia Walker, out of a burning car during a powder puff demolition derby. “That was not as serious as the fire on Black Rock Road,” Moore said.

Rose went over an embankment and a tree stump and then hit a tree. The gas tank was ruptured by the tree stump, which caused the fire.

Moore is a third generation rescue squad member. His grandfather was a founder of the rescue squad and his father currently serves as the Assistant Chief of the rescue squad. Moore currently serves on the Westside Volunteer Fire Department.

Rose was arrested for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol/drugs first offense and operating on a suspended/revoked operators license He is lodged in the Carroll County Detention Center on a $1,500 cash bond.

Tabitha Eversole, of 1501 Owen Ave., Carrollton, is the owner of the vehicle involved in the fire, according to the criminal complaint.

She was charged with one count of authorizing or knowingly permitting a motor vehicle owned or controlled by her to be driven by a person who has no legal right to drive, one count of not wearing a seat belt and one count of failure to maintain motor vehicle liability insurance.

Both Rose and Eversole have been arraigned and their cases are ongoing.