Milton firefighters reopen station

-A A +A
By Hilda Parrish

The weather was right-low 80’s, breeze blowing, blue skies with white fluffy clouds. Milton Fire House Station No. 2 held an open house Saturday, Aug. 11 from 11a.m. until 5 p.m. But, amongst the celebration was an umbrella of sadness for they had lost one of their own the night before in a fatal motorcycle accident.


Vickie McQueary said on Friday as they were getting final preparations ready, Mark Rexroat, as was his usual routine, was jogging the perimeter he had mapped out for himself. He stopped and chatted with them, giving them praise and encouragement. Within a few hours, they got the call and learned his fate.

The new red fish truck was on the scene serving free fish and chicken sandwiches, fries, chips and dips and drinks to the approximately 700 people who came out to the event. The trucks were lined across the parking lot for viewing and the bays were filled with tables and chairs.

The meeting room is equipped with stove, refrigerator, sink and cabinets. A bar separates the kitchenette from the larger dining area and the bathroom is located at the right, down the hall as you enter the room.

On the wall are reminders of what once was. Two crushed helmets found in the trees at the far end of the property flanks the plaque from the Blue Fish Wagon that for years made its presence known at the many county events held. Their major source for fund raising to buy needed equipment was destroyed on March 2 when a tornado hit the northern end of the county. A path of devastation from the Ohio River on through Trimble to Henry left the Milton Volunteers without their second home. Now, only five months later they are built back, and through grants and the generosity of other fire departments from across the United States, they are once again ready and able to serve the community from Station Two.

And those same volunteers were on hand to view the new station and to celebrate with the Milton volunteers as a count of eight neighboring counties and states were represented. One family drove four and one-half hours, from Gary, Ind., to be on hand for his comrades. Those who couldn’t be there sent well wishes and congrats via the Internet.

Mingling among the crowd was an independent film crew doing a documentary that will be aired on the Discovery channel at a later date.

Yes the weather was right. The community turned out. Happy, but tired, were the Milton crew as they closed and put things back in order awaiting the next call for they are ready.