LaHood to attend ground-breaking

-A A +A

Nov. 30 event to mark start of bridge project

By Phyllis McLaughlin

U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood will make another trip to Madison, Ind., next week on behalf of the Milton-Madison Bridge Project.
LaHood last visited in February to announce that the project had received $20 million in federal funding through the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grant program. The TIGER grant was provided as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, the economic stimulus program.
This time, LaHood will be joining local and state officials from Kentucky and Indiana for a ground-breaking ceremony, tossing the first shovelfuls of dirt to mark beginning of the long-awaited bridge-replacement project.
The event starts at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 30, on Vaughn Drive in Madison, between the bridge and Ferry Street.
“Earlier this year, the [U.S.] Department of Transportation awarded $20 million to help replace this structurally deficient bridge that serves as a crucial link between Indiana and Kentucky,” LaHood said Tuesday through a spokeswoman at his Washington, D.C., office. “I’m looking forward to joining [Kentucky] Gov. [Steve] Beshear and [Indiana] Gov. [Mitch] Daniels to break ground on this project, which will benefit communities on both sides of the Ohio River.”
Madison Mayor Tim Armstrong will lead the ceremony, which will include brief statements from the governors and LaHood.
A mayor’s office spokesman said invitations were e-mailed throughout the region earlier this week and already about 40 officials from the Indiana Department of Transportation, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and the Federal Highway Administration have confirmed that they will attend the ceremony.
The ceremony also is open to the public.