Heating assistance available from Tri-County Community Agency

-A A +A
By Dave Taylor

The Trimble Banner
Cold weather season is just around the corner. The cost of home heating is a problem for many low-income Kentuckians. Your local Tri-County Community Action Agency may be able to help through LIHEAP, otherwise known as the Low-Income Heating Energy Assistance Program.
Applications for the Low-Income Heating Energy Assistance Program subsidy for the winter of 2017-18 will be taken from Monday, Nov. 1 to Friday, Dec. 15, at the Tri-County Community Action Agency, 3240 Hwy 421N at the Trimble County Park. Applications will be received daily from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. excluding holidays, according to Pamela Sage, Trimble County Coordinator.
In Kentucky, the Department for Community Based Services administers the program through a contract with Community Action Kentucky, which disburses benefits through Community Action Agencies across the state.
The following subsidy Income Guidelines show qualifying income(s). Qualifying applicants should refer to the Application Period Schedule, which specifies applications will be taken in alphabetic order based on the first letter of the last name. Please apply accordingly. Any questions should be directed to the Tri-County Community Action Agency (502) 255-7514.
Household income must be at or below the following, relative to household size:
Household size-1; Gross monthly income-$1,307.
Household size-2; Gross monthly income-$1,760.
Household size-3; Gross monthly income-$2,213.
Household size-4; Gross monthly income-$2,665.
Household size-5; Gross monthly income-$3,118.
Household size-6; Gross monthly income-$3,571.
Household size-7; Gross monthly income-$4,024.
Household size-8; Gross monthly income-$4,477.
Add $453 for each additional family member over 8.
Each applicant must be responsible for home heating costs or pay heating costs as an undesignated portion of rent. Each applicant must not have in excess of $2,000 in liquid resources, or $3,000 if at least one person in the household is age 60 or older: and/or disabled except for households where a member has a catastrophic illness, the amount may be $4,000 when the resources are being accessed for medical and living expenses. In addition to the above eligibility requirements, each crisis applicant must be within four days of running out of fuel if wood, coal, propane, fuel oil or kerosene is the heat source or a disconnect/past due notice has been received from the vender (example: past due notice, termination notice, final notice).
Applications must be made during the period Nov. 6 through December 15, 2017. Applications will be taken in alphabetical order based on the first letter of the head of household’s last name using the following schedule:
A—Nov. 6; B—Nov. 7 & 8; C—Nov. 9 & 13; Closed—Nov. 10; D & E—Nov. 14; F—Nov. 15; G—Nov. 16; Open—Nov. 17; H—Nov. 20 & 21; Staff Day—Nov. 22; Closed Nov. 23 & 24; I & J—Nov. 27; K—Nov. 28; L—Nov. 29; M—Nov. 30 & Dec. 4; Open—Dec. 1; N—Dec. 5; O, P—Dec. 6; Q, R—Dec. 7; Open—Dec. 8; S—Dec. 11; T—Dec. 12; U, V & W—Dec. 13; X, Y & Z—Dec. 14; Open—Dec. 15.
Crisis Applications can be made from January 8, 2018 through March 31, 2018 or until available funds have been expended.
Applicants who are unable to apply for themselves must contact the local community action agency office to make other arrangements. If the designated representative is not the head of household or spouse, the representative must have a signed statement giving authorization to apply for the household. Individuals without a designated representative should contact the local community action agency at 502-255-7514, which may be able to assist them in finding one.  Only one person from each household should apply.
Applicants are required to bring the following information on your designated day:
1. Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Resident card (Green Card) for each member of the household.
2. Proof of all household’s (all members) income from the preceding month.
3. Your most current heating bill or verification from your landlord that the heating expenses are included in your rent, statement from utility company if you participate in a Pre-Pay Electric Program.
4. The account number and name on the account for main heating fuel sources and electric.
In addition, in the Crisis component, applicants requesting assistance for natural gas or electric must bring a disconnect/past due notice (example: past due notice, termination notice, or final notice.) If your rent includes heat you must bring a copy of your lease and eviction notice. Applicants who participate in a Pre-Pay Electric Program must bring a statement from the utility company that shows they have 10 days or less of pre-paid electric service.
Subsidy: The benefit amount that a household receives will be based on its level of poverty and the type of fuel used for heating. Those households with the lowest incomes that use the fuel with the highest heating season costs will receive the highest benefit. All eligible households will receive a benefit. Benefits will be in the form of vouchers made payable to the household’s primary heating fuel vendor.
Crisis benefits are limited to the amount necessary to relieve the crisis with the maximum amount not to exceed the community action agency’s total cost for a deliverable supply of the household’s primary heating fuel or $400 for gas or electric. Benefits may take the form of fuel deliveries, service reconnection, blankets or sleeping bags, loan of space heaters and emergency shelter. Crisis relief will be provided within 48 hours or 18 hours if an emergency.
Applicants are strongly urged not to give false information or hide information to receive LIHEAP benefits. Use LIHEAP benefits only for your household. If you break these rules, you may be stopped from receiving LIHEAP benefits and you may be prosecuted for fraud.